Thursday 2 July 2015

Task 35: Read a hard copy of War and Peace

Task 35 on my Sixty at 60 list may not sound exactly cutting edge or inspirational, but nevertheless I do think it’ll require a reasonable amount of effort on my part to complete it. Someone who clearly understands this level of effort is Andy T, who recently wrote to me saying (and I quote) 'Only a sadist would insist on your reading a hard copy of War and Peace (my Penguin edition has 1,444 pages)'.  I’ve just checked my Penguin edition and am delighted to say that it only has 1,399 pages – oh but hang on a moment, that probably means the font in my edition is smaller, which is not a good thing......   

Here's another audacious attempt to get the sympathy vote for Task 35  – if you look at the photo below, the Kite Runner (one of my favourite books of the last decade) is on the left and looming beside it on the right is Tolstoy’s tome. Need I say more?



Some reviewers on Amazon have assured me that W&P is a fantastic read – ‘I finished wishing it was even longer!’ said one and ‘When I got to the end it felt as if a new friend had left’  said another. Could they be friends or relations of the author perhaps?  

I’m going to commence reading Tolstoy’s ‘sprawling epic’ in two days' time (have to finish reading ‘H is for Hawk’ first – can definitely recommend it) - and I may be some time.  

If you would like to follow this blog click here for information on how to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment