Wednesday 2 September 2015

Task 1: Complete a 10k run in less than 60 minutes - polite appeal!

Of all the tasks on my sixtyat60 challenge, I think it's fair to say that Task 1 is the one giving me the greatest pause for thought right now (although taming the saxophone and steeling myself to hold a snake are a pretty close second - hmm yes, and that tiny tattoo.....) 

I've been plugging away at my running for the past 3 months and I have managed to increase my distance and pace - but oh my goodness so slowly.  Then last Friday, a couple of minutes before I headed out for a morning run, an email popped up in my inbox alerting me to the fact that a lovely friend of mine had made a donation to Alzheimer's Research UK through my JustGiving page. I felt a little whoosh of happiness and started running with a bounce in my step.  Two rather surprising things happened - firstly, I ran a whole kilometre further than I've ever managed before, and secondly, I shaved 2 minutes off my personal best.  I was astounded!  Was my RunKeeper app trying to give me a bit of a boost?  Or did the donation actually inspire me to up my game?  Of course I'd like to think it was the latter......

So I'm going to make my first official attempt to complete Task 19 on Sunday 18th October when I take part in the Worthing Seafront 10k Fun (fun - really??) Run, which I registered for yesterday. It'll be the first organised run I've ever done in my entire life and that thought alone is giving me palpitations, let alone the thought of trying to beat a 60 minute deadline. But I'm determined to give it my best shot!  Andrew wants me to wear a t-shirt with the words 'It's a hill. Get over it'. Except there aren't likely to be any hills on the Worthing Seafront Fun Run. So I shall be wearing my stylish ARUK t-shirt instead (see below - note devoted fans at my feet).

If you think my run is worthy of a donation, however small, I know from my experience last Friday that your support will really help to inspire me, and even more importantly, will fund much needed research into treatments for dementia. For further information and/or to make a donation please visit my JustGiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/Vivien-Hunot  


If you would like to follow this blog click here for information on how to do so. 





No comments:

Post a Comment